Is your child showing an interest in singing?
Do they constantly sing around the house?
Have they recently joined the school choir?
Or are they directly asking you to find them a singing class?
Then we would love to help them out! At Freedom Music Studios, we are passionate about developing the confidence of children whilst teaching great technique and extending them outside their comfort zones. Our specialised Freedom First Notes Academy is targeted at teaching children aged 6-15 the foundations of singing in small groups. Students in our First Notes Academy also have the opportunity to improve their performance skills by attending workshops in musical theatre, performance skills, movement and acting. Located in Rowville, South East Melbourne, our studio offers a friendly and supportive environment for children of any ability.
What our singing academy can offer children
- A tertiary qualified instructor with industry experience, first aid certificate, working with children check and years of experience working with children. We ensure your child gets the best possible start on their singing journey.
- A step by step approach to great singing technique enabling them to gradually build strength. flexibility and range whilst reducing strain and consequently singing safely.
- Free access to our extensive library of backing tracks so children can practice at home.
- The opportunity to participate in regular performance events which provide children with a goal to focus on as they prepare. This in turn motivates them to practice and attend their lessons.
- The opportunity to participate in a variety of workshops covering topics such as performance, musical theatre, acting and movement.
- A supportive and friendly environment so they feel comfortable as soon as they walk in the door. Children who are relaxed are more likely to tap into their creativity and learn more quickly by taking risks and making mistakes.
- Being part of our ‘Freedom Family’. We welcome you to our extended community of students, teachers and their families who support, nurture and encourage our students to be the best they can be. Singing is all about bringing people together and getting to know other children of similar ages will maintain your child’s enthusiasm towards singing lessons.
Proposed 2018 Class Timetable
How can you get started?
1. Free Trial Consultation
All new students begin with a free 30-minute consultation. During this time they will meet their teacher, discuss their goals, complete a short singing assessment and sing one of their favorite songs. This helps us to find out more about your child and enables them to get a good feel for what they can expect if they begin singing lessons with us. It also helps us to determine which lesson type they should begin with. Prospective students are then given an information pack to take home and read before deciding if they’d like to continue.
2. Beginners Singing Classes – ‘Foundation Voice Class’
Most children under 16 will start in beginners singing classes, which we refer to as Foundation Voice Classes. In these classes students will learn:
- The basics of safe and effective technique.
- Introductory musical theory and terminology such as pitch, rhythm, beat, dynamics and melody.
- Beginning performance skills and microphone technique.
Classes have a minimum of two and a maximum of five students and run for 30 minutes. Students begin with voice training exercises and then learn songs together. Children are encouraged to participate in performances within their groups but are never forced.
The benefits of starting in a Foundation Voice Class are:
- It’s a cost effective solution for parents, allowing children to satisfy their interest in singing without having to ‘give up’ another activity.
- Children adopt a ‘safety in numbers’ approach whereby a beginner feels more comfortable singing whilst surrounded by children of a similar age and ability.
- They are a fantastic introduction to singing and singing lessons for children. If your child continues to show a keen interest, they can move on to private lessons when ready.
3. Private Voice Lessons
Children who take private singing lessons have demonstrated a good foundational knowledge and ability in singing technique and have maintained their interest for an extended period of time. Our private singing lessons may include any of the following:
- Personalised voice training: Exercises are prescribed specifically based on the tendencies heard within the student’s voice.
- Learning repertoire of the student’s choice: Initially technical aspects such as pitch rhythm, melody, placement and vowel shapes are covered. Once these are mastered we look at the ‘artistry’ of the song. We cover concepts such as vocal tone, dynamics, phrasing, storytelling, body language and microphone technique.
- Performance coaching: Students prepare a performance by forming a general plan about where they will move on stage, what equipment they will use and how they will be entertaining to their audience.
- Audition preparation and coaching.
- Recording semi professional demo tracks.